Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish

I have been reading "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish" written by Rashmi Bansal... the title sounds familiar, isn't it... it is the word coined by Steve Jobs at Stanford - The book contains 25 inspiring stories of IIMA grads who instead of walking with the herd took a different path. I strongly recommend this book for all those who can dare dream big and do everything to make it happen... esp. those who want to start in India - there is so much you can relate to - except the success part which you will, eventually :-)

There is one thing in common from all these stories... when failure hits and hits again, just hang on and success will be yours soon... and when you succeed all failures are wiped out for ever...

There are quite a few things which startups can learn from this book... one of them would be a sugesstion from few founders.. "not to split the euqity euqally amongst founders"... I know most startups end up spliting the share equally btw every one but thats not a good thing to do, its better you follow some type of process to do this.. Here I found an article The Founders’ Pie Calculator which can help you decide.

I loved few adventures of these brave... here is a small list of those...

1. Sanjeev Bikchandani, naukri.com

2. R Subramanian, Subhiksha

3. Narendra Murkumbi, Shree Renuka Sugars
>> He shutdown his first company becuase 5 crore turnover was not big for hi

4. K. Raghavendra Rao, Orchid Pharma

5. Shankar Maruwada, Marketics

6. Deepta Rangaranjan, IRIS

There is a lot I could write about this book, but I suggest you read..

4 comments:

Harsha M V said...

I gotta Read this....

Anonymous said...

Hi Santosh,

Interesting review, but what about Subhiksha now? The guy is in big trouble.

I have been reading lots of discussions online about Happionaire's Cash The Crash, but am not able to get my copy. Any idea where I can get it?

Creative Ritual!! said...

@anita

I think it is all about entrepreneurship - money can be made in "n" number of ways but how you make it matters... stay hungry, stay foolish is about innovation, passion and happiness in running business.

Subhiksha is currently going through a rough patch... you can call that trouble or just another hurdle... and R Subramaniam is a capable person... if he can build an empire with 4L then he can easily solve this.. even if he doesn't he will get into another business... but the point is he will always be an entrepreneur.

Anonymous said...

I agree mistakes are a part of the game. In fact Anita, the book you speak about, Happionaire's Cash The Crash talks about failure too and how the losses helped Yogesh a lot. I was surprised and very pleased to read that even India's economic growth and even our independence is a result of a "Crash"

I bought my copy online, I guess yo u can too. Probably we can have a book review here too CR.